Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Helping Others and How it Helps You Feel Good About Yourself

I was born with the helping-others gene, and now at almost 66 years old (and that is very hard for me to say...66 years old, when I feel so young!) I am looking back at my life and am seeing that a big part of it was spent helping others. There have been many instances that I have very vivid memories of. I remember when I was in public school, (I do not remember exactly what age I was) but I remember this part of the story as if it was yesterday. I even remember the persons' name I am referring to; it was Howard Schulman. He and his mom had moved around the corner from where we lived in Brooklyn, New York. Howard was tall and gawky that is how I remember him. He was very nice, very smart, but not very athletic. And there is where the difference was between him and me. I was a very good athlete. It made no difference what the sport was... I was good at it. I was not a very good student because I cared about sports, not scholastics.

Anyway, Howard did not fit in with us "JOCS" but for some reason I did not let that stop me from becoming his friend. That was the way I was. I attempted to get him involved in sports so he would be a part of our group. Howard never became an athlete but he became a good friend to me and my friends. I have never forgotten him and I often wonder if he remembers me. I have tried to locate him, without success, but I will not give up.

Helping others has been a big part of my life. It shows up in many different ways. It is most rewarding to know that you have helped somebody.

We will be known forever by the tracks we leave.

Remember to do something good and positive for someone today in the knowing they can never repay you and watch the world change one person at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment